Skip to main content
Privacy Policy

This site uses cookies to provide you with an optimal experience.

Learn more

Où souhaitez-vous
partager cette page?


Closed for Fête nationale and Canada Day

Our offices will be closed on Monday, June 24 and Monday, July 1st. You can use our online complaint form at any time.

The Charter of the French language and its regulations govern the consultation of English-language content.

Court representation

If the Commission decides to represent you in court

The Commission will accompany you throughout the legal process

The lawyer handling your case:

  • sends you a copy of the Commission’s decision to represent you in court and a letter explaining the details
  • explains the various stages of the legal system that apply to your case and describes the legal issues at stake
  • makes sure you are properly prepared for the court hearing
  • represents you at the primary court (usually the Human Rights Tribunal), as well as at the Court of Appeal, if applicable.

If the Commission accepts your complaint but decides not to represent you before the Human Rights Tribunal

You may apply to the Tribunal yourself

  • You have 90 days from the date when you received the notification that the Commission had decided not to represent you.
  • You take your claim to the Tribunal at your own expense.
  • You can represent yourself or choose to have a lawyer represent you (at your own expense).
  • You may request a copy of the Commission’s file regarding your complaint.

To learn more, or to find forms and guides: