Skip to main content
Privacy Policy

This site uses cookies to provide you with an optimal experience.

Learn more

Où souhaitez-vous
partager cette page?


Closed for Fête nationale and Canada Day

Our offices will be closed on Monday, June 24 and Monday, July 1st. You can use our online complaint form at any time.

The Charter of the French language and its regulations govern the consultation of English-language content.

Reporting child abuse

You can protect a child (meaning anyone younger than age 18) by reporting their situation to your local Director of Youth Protection (DYP).

What does reporting mean?

Reporting means informing the DYP that a child is being abused or mistreated. This means that the child’s security or development is (or could be) in danger.

  • Who can submit a report to the DYP?

    Anyone can report child abuse, including the child who is in danger. Some people are obliged to report.

    You are obliged to report if:

    1. you believe that a child is experiencing sexual or physical abuse
    2. a child has confided in you about their situation or that of another child (including a sibling)
    3. you are a professional who works with children [kc1] and believes that a child is being abused or mistreated

    Examples of professionals who work with children

    • members of certain professional bodies (physicians, psychologists, social workers, nurses, etc.)
    • employees of certain health and social service institutions
    • teachers
    • people who work with children in a daycares, childcare centres (CPE), day camps, etc.
    • police officers
  • When should I submit a report?

    As soon as you have reason to believe that a child is being abused, abandoned or neglected or is experiencing serious behavioural problems.

    Examples of abuse, abandonment or neglect:

    • a child appears to be being mistreated psychologically
    • a child no longer attends school or has frequent unexplained absences
    • a child tells you that they have been sexually or physically abused

    Examples of serious behavioural disorders:

    • aggressiveness
    • illegal behaviour
    • self-harm
    • alcohol or drug abuse
  • Where should I submit my report?

    To report a situation that you are concerned about, contact your local Director of Youth Protection (DYP).

    Reporting to the DYP is confidential. The DYP cannot reveal the reporting person’s identity to the child’s parents or anyone else.

    You can report to the DYP
    24 hours a day, 7 days a week,
    by phone or in writing.

    Find a DYP to submit a report