Advisory Service on reasonable accommodation
Do you wonder if you have a duty to accommodate and how far you do you have to go to accommodate?
The Commission provides free and confidential reasonable accommodation advisory services to:
- Help you understand your legal obligation
- Assist you in managing requests
- Help you find solutions
Our Advisory Service is aimed at managers, business owners, service providers, human resources managers or union representatives.
514 873-5146 ou 1 800 361-6477, extension 6
This video presents our Advisory Service (French only).
When to contact us? Examples...
- A person who uses a service dog wants to participate in a group activity. Another participant is allergic to dogs, she wants to leave the group.
- An employee wants time off to celebrate a religious holiday.
- An employee with a substance abuse problem wants a leave of absence of two months in order to receive treatment at a rehabilitation centre.
- A person in charge of a day camp asks whether she must accept a child with mental health problems.
Requests received by the Advisory Service
More than half of the requests received concern disability (56%). They relate in particular to hiring and working conditions, the integration of disabled children in day camps or inclusion in the school environment. Religion is the second most common reason for receiving requests (28%).
In 10 years, the number of requests received annually by our Advisory Service has increased from 24 to 144.